Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Birthday Deadlifts

Today I am 44!  Not such a big milestone for a triathlete, right?  No new age group with that number!

It's a gorgeous warm sunny day, and I kicked it off with the birthday tradition started three years ago by my trainer, doing 135# deadlifts with the number of reps equal to my age. The limiting factor there was oxygen more than strength, you end up almost hyperventilating by syncing breathing with the lifts.  It's a fun tradition that I hope to keep up for many many years to come.





The solid back and core workout was followed by a scheduled visit to my chiropractor where I popped and cracked from stem to stern.  I'm knocking out some work, then bugging out for that little brick ride/run. Then off to get kids from school and haul them around to CrossFit, cello, and Karate for several hours.

I have SO much to be thankful for on this day and every day.  I appreciate my family, friends, and community and am blessed to live in comfort and work at a job I love in such a great college town.  I'm grateful and humbled, particularly in light of all the hardship, natural disasters, wars, and personal struggles that face so many others around the world.  We're all just a step away from that. When I'm in a pool, out on the bike, or running freely, I try not to take for granted the opportunities that I have been given.

It's shaping up to be a pretty nice birthday!!